EwArt Productions: ART HISTORY in just a minute

18th-century Art

19th-century Art

20th-century Art

Contemporary Art

Leonardo da Vinci
The Last Supper
Refectory of S. Maria delle Grazie, Milan (c. 1495-1498)

Learn what Leonardo da Vinci did in his wrecked fresco of the "Last Supper" and what has happened to the painting since.

Created, Written and Hosted By
Christopher L. C. E. Witcombe

Editing, Effects and Encoding
Aaron Mahler

Audio Production and Closing Theme
Greg Ingber

Image Editing and Production Assistance
Tess Drahman

Logo
Richard Mahler

Comments

Posted by Beth Heisey on December 12, 2006:

Very amusing while still being informative. Would like to see more!

Posted by Jan Russell on December 13, 2006:

I especially liked the quick analysis of composition. Looking forward to seeing more.

Posted by Robyn Van Pelt on December 20, 2006:

This was wonderful. I subscribed through itunes. When will the next one be? Thanks, Robyn

Posted by Audrey Charlton on January 5, 2007:

Excellent teaching/learning. Thank you. Can't wait for more.

Posted by Roy on January 6, 2007:

What fun! Looking forward to an episode on Venus of Urbino.

Posted by Joe Ann Owens on January 9, 2007:

Your Art History in Just a Minute podcast is a delight. The Last Supper episode is fabulous. I eagerly await your next episode.

Posted by Lindsay Rice on February 5, 2007:

This is great! What an entertaining and educational way to look at art history!

Posted by Meg Timour on February 17, 2007:

Loved it! Will be commenting on it in my own Podcast as one of three I recommend to my graduate class. Just wish there were more episodes, and eagerly await them all.

Posted by Lisa Meany on June 30, 2007:

Loved both this and the Mona Lisa podcasts, as did my children ages 6-13. I am disappointed, however, that an Prof. Witcombe left the "St. John or St. Mary Magdalen" question hanging, which does a disservice to both the field and the general public.

Posted by Sue White on July 10, 2007:

Excellent. This is a brilliant teaching tool. I can't wait for more. We've been waiting for something like this for ages. Keep it up!

Posted by Sophie Coleman on August 30, 2007:

Brilliant! More, more, more please!

Posted by milton on October 25, 2007:

BEAUTIFUL

Posted by Trudy Israel on December 4, 2007:

You conveyed a lot of information in a short amount of time in an amusing and interesting fashion! Will there be one about prehistoric art soon?

Posted by Cristiane on June 2, 2008:

I love it very much. It has helped me so much in my classes. Is it possible to have the text written down for my students?

Posted by Beth Harris on November 6, 2008:

Loved these for a while -- !
Will include links to these in our new Smarthistory site -- which has lots of art history videos --
www.smarthistory.org
Beth Harris and Steven Zucker

Posted by gipiemaituapy on December 15, 2008:

Dear administration ewart.sbc.edu, I am assured, that I shall express the general opinion of all visitors and consequently on behalf of everything, I speak you the hugest thanks for creation and maintenance of such remarkable project!
Thanks!

As very much it would be desirable to hear something about plans for development of the project.

P.S. If our help is necessary - address, we always with pleasure shall help you!

Posted by L.E.M. on February 11, 2009:

This brief overview of Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" is both funny and accessible. Dr. Witcombe provides a smart and palatable "appetizer" (please pardon the figurative language and punning) for introducing young people to the veritable "feast" of Art History that awaits them when and if they remain open to the process of further scholarship. This web video is a terrific way to expose young people to the rudiments of Art History, not to mention one of the iconic pieces that many students have seen or heard about in a peripheral manner, (but in all likelihood, have never studied, not even for one minute.) Thank you for providing this resource to teachers and their (sometimes reluctant) students.